The Need for Space
You can fill your calendar. You can keep working. You can respond to every message, attend every meeting, solve every problem, and still feel that something is missing.
What may be missing is space.
Space to think.
Space to read.
Space to understand.
Space to ask whether the things we are doing actually matter.
That is where I find myself right now.
I don't think I need to stop working. I don't want to stop learning or creating. I want to keep getting better. I want to become a better engineer, a better thinker, and eventually a better leader.
But I also need to slow down.
I recently started thinking about The Inner Game of Work again, because the idea feels particularly relevant right now. The outer game is about getting things done. The inner game is about understanding what is happening inside us while we do them.
And perhaps the next stage of growth is learning to play both games.
Stop Reacting
One thing I have noticed recently is how quickly I react.
Someone tells me something, and I immediately want to respond.
A manager asks something, and I immediately start thinking about how to answer.
A colleague says something, and my mind immediately moves toward action.
But why?
Why does another person's urgency automatically become my urgency?
Why should someone else's request immediately take control of my attention?
There is a difference between responding and reacting.
A response has space around it.
A reaction does not.
That small gap between stimulus and response may be one of the most important forms of freedom we have.
Maybe patience is not simply waiting.
Maybe patience is the ability to remain in control of your mind long enough to decide what deserves your attention.
So instead of immediately asking, "What should I do?", perhaps I should first ask:
"Is this actually important?"
"Do I understand the problem?"
"What would create the most value?"
"What am I missing?"
That pause changes everything.
Space Is Not Laziness
I have sometimes treated an empty hour as something that needs to be filled.
If I am not working, I should be exercising.
If I am not exercising, I should be reading.
If I am not reading, I should be learning.
If I am not learning, I should be doing something productive.
But life cannot be an endless optimization problem.
There has to be room to simply think.
An hour of silence is not necessarily an hour wasted.
It might be the hour in which you finally understand something you have been struggling with for weeks.
It might be the hour in which you realize that you are solving the wrong problem.
It might be the hour in which you understand what you actually want.
That is why I want to deliberately create more space in my day.
Not to escape work.
To understand my work better.
The Gym Is More Than the Gym
This also changes how I think about the gym.
I don't need the gym only because I want to become stronger physically.
I need something physical in my life.
When the workday ends and there is nothing intentional to do, the mind can become its own worst enemy. It starts looking inward too much. How am I doing? How do I look? What did someone think about me? Am I progressing fast enough?
Physical activity interrupts that loop.
The gym gives me somewhere to put my attention.
So does pickleball.
So does walking.
So does cooking.
So does getting outside.
The point is not to constantly distract myself.
The point is to have a life that exists beyond work.
If work becomes the only meaningful activity in my life, then work begins to carry too much psychological weight.
That is not sustainable.
What Am I Actually Creating?
Another question keeps coming back to me:
Am I creating something of real value?
At work, it is easy to become consumed by the immediate task.
Build this.
Fix that.
Prepare the demo.
Get the approval.
Make the change.
Respond to the message.
But occasionally we have to step back and ask a bigger question.
What problem are we actually solving?
What do other products do?
What do competitors understand that we don't?
What do customers genuinely need?
What would make this product substantially better?
For something like Agent 365, I don't want my thinking to stop at completing the next task.
I want to understand the space.
Study competing products.
Understand their strengths and weaknesses.
Understand the problems organizations face when they deploy agents.
Then work backward from those problems.
That is a different way of working.
It is the difference between being busy and becoming valuable.
Meta-Learning
There is another layer underneath this.
I don't just want to learn more.
I want to learn how to learn better.
That is meta-learning.
Instead of endlessly consuming information, I want to ask:
What am I trying to understand?
What do I already know?
What am I missing?
What is the simplest explanation?
What examples would prove that I understand it?
Where are the gaps in my thinking?
The goal isn't to know everything.
The goal is to become better at figuring things out.
And that requires slowing down.
Depth requires time.
Learning to Stay With Discomfort
One of the more useful things I noticed recently is that I can stay with discomfort for a few minutes without immediately trying to escape it.
That sounds simple.
It isn't.
When something feels uncomfortable, the mind wants movement.
Check the phone.
Respond to the message.
Start another task.
Look for reassurance.
Do something.
Anything.
But sometimes the most productive thing is to sit with the discomfort long enough to understand it.
Maybe the discomfort is telling me that I don't know something.
Maybe I am afraid of failing.
Maybe I want recognition.
Maybe I am trying too hard to prove myself.
Maybe I am simply tired.
If I immediately act, I never learn what the discomfort was trying to tell me.
So perhaps a useful practice is:
Don't immediately fix the feeling. Understand it first.
Giving Without Keeping Score
There is another question that matters to me:
How am I giving?
Work is one way to contribute, but it cannot be the only way.
Writing is another.
Teaching is another.
Helping someone understand something is another.
Being kind is another.
Giving money to people who need it is another.
Showing up for someone is another.
And perhaps the deeper lesson is that giving becomes much more meaningful when we stop keeping score.
Recently, I have caught myself thinking:
"If I give something, I should get credit for it."
But that turns giving into a transaction.
I don't want to live that way.
I want to practice giving without constantly asking whether someone noticed.
There is something freeing about doing good work and allowing it to exist without needing applause.
Creating Value Through Presence
I also think we sometimes overcomplicate the idea of value.
We don't always have to ask:
"Where is the maximum possible value I can create today?"
Sometimes value comes through our presence.
When someone uses software we built, they deserve respect.
The code should be thoughtful.
The system should be reliable.
The experience should be fast.
The product should work.
Those details matter because there is another human being on the other side of them.
Creating something well is itself a form of respect.
And the same principle applies outside software.
Listen carefully.
Keep your word.
Help someone.
Play with people.
Be present.
Pay attention.
We create value not only through what we produce, but through how we show up.
Humility, Respect, and Trust
I've been thinking a lot about three qualities that make good teams possible:
Humility. Respect. Trust.
Humility begins with:
"I don't know everything. Let's figure it out."
That doesn't mean lacking confidence.
It means being confident enough to admit what you don't know.
It means not allowing your achievements to cloud your judgment.
It means being willing to learn from someone else.
It means recognizing that the team is bigger than the individual.
Respect means having boundaries without violating someone else's.
It means listening to another person's solution even when you believe you have a better one.
It means giving people room to think.
Trust means allowing capable people to do their work.
You don't need to interfere with everything.
You don't need to know every detail.
You don't need to control every decision.
Sometimes leadership means stepping back.
The Difference Between a Manager and a Leader
The more I think about leadership, the more I believe the distinction is simple.
A manager can manage tasks.
A leader creates an environment where other people can do their best work.
A good leader gives credit for the good things and takes responsibility for the bad ones.
When something goes well, the team gets the recognition.
When something goes wrong, the leader asks:
"What could I have done differently?"
That requires humility.
It also requires courage.
Because it is easy to protect yourself.
Especially when performance reviews, promotions, reputation, and careers are involved.
We can become so concerned about avoiding a bad outcome that we stop taking meaningful risks.
But what if something goes right?
What if the risk teaches us something?
What if a bad decision becomes the foundation for a better decision?
Good decisions don't come from never making mistakes.
They come from making decisions, learning from them, and moving forward.
Slow Down, Then Move
This is not an argument for doing less with our lives.
It is an argument for doing things with greater intention.
I still want to work.
I still want to learn.
I still want to build.
I still want to become stronger.
I still want to create products that matter.
I still want to become a better engineer and a better leader.
But I don't want to become so consumed by achievement that I lose the ability to think.
I don't want every message to control my attention.
I don't want every urgent request to become my priority.
I don't want work to become my entire identity.
I don't want giving to become a transaction.
And I don't want my achievements to become an excuse to stop learning.
So perhaps the practice is simple:
Slow down.
Create an hour of space.
Read.
Walk.
Go to the gym.
Play.
Write.
Think.
Ask better questions.
Listen to people.
Let discomfort exist without immediately escaping it.
Then return to the work.
Not more reactive.
More deliberate.
Not less ambitious.
More grounded.
Not detached from the world.
More capable of contributing to it.
Because maybe the goal isn't simply to get more done.
Maybe the goal is to become the kind of person who knows what is worth doing in the first place.
Comments
Post a Comment